Willmeng has completed the full renovation of an existing manufacturing plant in Goodyear for Huhtamaki North America, an industry leader in technologically-advanced and sustainable packaging solutions and disposable tableware. The 650,000-square-foot manufacturing and distribution facility is one of the company’s largest facilities on the West Coast, and one of the largest industrial projects to be fully renovated in Phoenix in 2017. It will produce paper drink cups, insulated hot cups, food containers, pressed paperboard plates and thermoformed plastic cups and lids.
In the decade after the recession, Huhtamaki is influential to the region as a central piece in continuing to prove Goodyear as an ideal place for advanced manufacturing businesses. The facility will contribute hundreds of new jobs to the West Valley. The manufacturing plant, which was completed in phases in the 80s and 90s, had previously transitioned to serve several tenants, including RubberMaid. Each tenant made renovations along the way to better serve their companies, but for nearly a decade before the most recent renovation, the facility had been an unoccupied eye-sore.
The multi-million-dollar renovation, which was designed by Deutsch Architecture Group, began in November 2016 and wrapped up in December 2017. Updates included:
- Expanding the facility by 14,000 square feet (two manufacturing building additions).
- Working with APS and the City of Goodyear to add an additional 9,000 AMPS, yielding a total of 18,000 AMPS to the building.
- Painted all concrete tilt walls and added epoxy coating to the existing concrete floor
- Filled in large pits in the floor that were made by a previous tenant.
- Replaced fluorescent lights with LEDs to increase visibility and decrease quantity of physical lights. LED lighting offered energy efficiency and earned the owner major rebates.
- Replaced single-pane glass storefront with double-pane energy efficient glass.
- Completely gutted and replaced plumbing, electric and HVAC.
- Added all new manufacturing equipment and systems to facility.
- The building features a dock that connects directly to a railway. Part of the railway was updated.
See the amazing before and after images above!